On October 3, 1791, six persons took the initiative and organized a church in Wysox with Reverend Jabez Culver, a Conneticut missionary, as pastor. The original six members immediately took in eight more and one month later, November 5, took into "full communion" another eight to make a total of 22. These members were considered to be the nucleus of the beginning church. It was a Congregational "Church of Christ" and the first church organized for white people in Bradford County and in the valley of the Susquehanna River north of Wilkes-Barre. In 1815, a wooden church was erected and stood about one-fourth mile north of the present church. It was a one-story building, 24 feet by 40 feet. The organized church served a radius of eight miles. Prior to the erection of the wooden church, members met in private homes, a barn, a schoolhouse, a log meeting house, and the courthouse.
On October 25, 1825, 32 members were dismissed to organize a church on the west-side of the river, the present Towanda Presbyterian Church. Three years later on July 9, 1828, an organization formed to erect the "Wysox Brick Meeting House" in which 100,000 bricks would be used.
The Theology of the first church covenant was Calvinistic but the former government was Congregational. Because of pioneer needs for closer organization, this church, with other Congregational churches of the Luzerne Association formed the Susquehanna Presbytery in 1871, which became a part of the Synod of New york and New Jersey. In 1830, the Wysox Church became Presbyterian not only in creed but in name and form of government.
On September 18, 1960, a new period of history of the church was begun when ground was broken for the erection of the Christian Education Building. The facility is available and used by a wide variety of community organizations. The church stands to serve in all areas of life.
In the spring of 1976, a campaign was begun to bring into reality a needed restoration of the church building. Through the efforts and generosity of the members and community, the church interior was carefully restored to the original beauty of the "Old Brick Church."
In the fall of 1998, a major, exterior building restoration project was undertaken. The restoration included a new roof on the education building, repair and restoration of the bell steeple, and the scaling of the exterior brick walls.